Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me.
READ: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Is it possible to be too helpful? Can our helpfulness actually make life more difficult for others? Yes, if we’re being bothersome, intrusive, smothering, manipulative, or controlling. If the help we are giving is driven only by our own anxiety, we may be just trying to help ourselves.
In prayer we can ask God to show us any way we are hurting or hindering others (Ps. 139:23-24). We can ask God to help us show love that “suffers long and is kind; . . . is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil” (1 Cor. 13:4-5).
Our efforts to help others, especially those we love the most, will never be completely free from anxiety. But we can, by God’s grace, begin to love freely with no strings attached, as God Himself loves. The test, of course, and the measure of our progress, is the way we react when our “helpfulness” is unrecognized or goes unrewarded (see Luke 14:12-14).
Please help me, Lord, in all I do
To act and think with motives true;
And by Your love reveal to me
Those sins that only You can see. —D. De Haan
In our desire to help, let’s love with pure motives.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Too Helpful? (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- A life filled with love for the Lord and for others is a fulfilling life (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Only One Church United in Doctrine? – Part 2 of 2 (godsbreath.wordpress.com)
- Cast you burden upon Jesus for He cares for you (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Praise comes naturally when you count your blessings (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- For much is given much is required? (josephprestonkirk.wordpress.com)
- April 3 – A Heart Fully Devoted To Him (lelandfleming.wordpress.com)
- The Wisdom of God – part two (yourgodmoments.wordpress.com)
- God’s Truths Belong To His Children (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The LORD made all things for himself, even the wicked, but he is NOT forcing people to sin (Prov. 16:4) (bjorkbloggen.wordpress.com)
- 120408 – George Hach’s Journal – Sunday (georgehachmyblog.wordpress.com)
- The Path Ahead (redeemedinstruments.com)
- Psalms 37. (astephz.wordpress.com)
- Thoughts For Young Men – JC Ryle (devosreport.wordpress.com)
- A merry heart doeth good like a medicine” (Prov. xvii. 22). (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)