Read: 1 John 3:1-10
The call to salvation is a call to holiness. After you receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour, it does not end there; the journey to Heaven has only just begun. Before you were saved, you manifested the works of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21).
But now that you have encountered Jesus Christ at salvation, the fruit of the Spirit is expected from you (Galatians 5:22-23). Every attempt at righteousness before your salvation was equal to self-righteousness which is as filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6); hence, Paul says his self-righteousness no longer counts but the righteousness by faith in Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:9).
God has not only saved us and given us the gift of righteousness, He also expects us to live a life in agreement with His standard. Today, some people think that it is just enough to be born again and that nothing else is required.
No! It is not enough! The truth is your new birth gives you the platform on which to build on, having secured God’s righteousness through your faith in Christ Jesus. We are called to be like our Saviour Jesus Christ. In 1 John 2:1, Jesus is called the righteous, and verse 29 says: If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
This means that the fruit of righteousness that you bear will be used to determine whether you are born of God or not. 1 John 3:7 says: Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. God is not saying you should be holier than Jesus. Even Jesus says it is enough for a servant to be like his master (Luke 6:40).
If God expected works of righteousness from Jesus, He expects the same from you. If you look at the letters the Lord wrote to the churches in Revelation 2 and 3, you will notice that He kept repeating that those who will qualify for those wonderful rewards are only the believers who overcome as He also overcame.
In every point Jesus overcame, you too should, because He is our standard. Every act of righteousness He manifested, you too should. You must live a life that manifests the victory Christ has given you over the flesh, Satan and the world. You must allow Him to live His righteous life through you. Are you daily living a life of righteousness?
KEY POINT: Jesus is God’s unchangeable standard for man. Be like Him in everything including righteous living.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- The righteousness which is by faith (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Christ is made unto us wisdom (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Come Now And Let Us Reason Together Says The LORD (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- For every one that ask receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened (Luke 11:10) (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21) (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Let your dream in life be for people to see Jesus Christ in you (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Being filled with the fruits of righteousness “by” Christ (ptl2010.com)
- Jesus Christ Gives Repentance to the Most Unlikely People (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Peace in His Presence (sarahhollinger.com)
- Our First Line of Defense (inspirationalchristiansfortoday.com)