Let Your Light So Shine Before Men
READ: Matthew 5:13-16
Let your light so shine before men. —Matthew 5:16
It was just a routine baggage inspection, but there was nothing ordinary about the contents of the suitcase. The Swiss customs agent who examined it discovered 14 original drawings by Pablo Picasso. The artwork, which was contained in a sketchbook, was estimated to be worth as much as $1.5 million, yet the passenger indicated “nothing to declare” to customs authorities.
It’s hard to imagine anyone packing Picasso’s sketchbook between sweaters, trotting off to the airport, and hoping it would remain a secret. The man was obviously smuggling it.
We as Christians have something far more valuable than a Picasso to declare! Yet we sometimes keep the treasure of our faith in Christ locked in our hearts instead of sharing it with those around us. Jesus reminded us, “You are the light of the world” (Matt. 5:14). Part of our purpose is to reflect God’s glory so that others will understand their need for Him. He also calls us to let our light shine, so that they see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven (v.16).
We risk becoming spiritual smugglers when we hide our faith in Christ. Instead, let’s open the “suitcase,” share the treasure, and give glory to the Master.
Lord, help me make my witness clear,
And labour faithfully,
So friends and neighbours turn to Christ
Through what they hear from me. —Anon.
A word well chosen can open a heart to God.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- We are the salt of the earth (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Something To Declare (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Gonna Let my Light Shine … (barefootpreachr.org)
- Salt Shaker: Let Your Light Shine (virtuouswoman73.wordpress.com)
- Not What It Appears (ptl2010.com)
- Let Your Light So Shine (uplifters4you.wordpress.com)
- How powerful our words are. (jewelindapalace.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Depend on Lazy People (jesuscarriesme.com)
- Let it Shine! (phebestephen.wordpress.com)
- Blessed By Brokenness (csahm.com)