Text: Psalm 13:1-6
Topic: How long Lord.
When I think of the goodness of Jesus,
And all he has done for me,
My very soul will shout Hallelujah,
Praise God for saving me.
Father we thank You for saving us and for the gift of life. Thank You Lord for the privilege of being counted amongst the living.
We thank You for loving us so much that You gave us the opportunity as Your children to come and reason together with You ( Isa 1:18) concerning the issues we face. We also thank You for the assurance You gave, not to ever leave us or forsake us (Heb 13:5).
Brethren we know that David was a man after the heart of God. Infact many believe that God was just too partial towards David when we consider some of the things he got up to. This favourite child of God though, was never hypocritical or sanctimonious in his engagements and interactions with God. He will always express how he felt about issues that bothered him.
We are also favourites of God Almighty and I am sure that just like David we want to express our thoughts freely to God too. I am sure many of us have questions like;
O Lord, How long:
• Will this Covid 19 pandemic continue to disturb mankind?
• Will it take for the kidnappings, insurgencies, persecution of Christians in certain parts of the country to cease?
• Will it take for some of our unhealthy relationships to be repaired?
• Will our health issues continue?
• Will we continue to have issues with our finances, careers, marriages etc?
The list goes on and on. A preacher of old stated that believers will usually write 4 books of lamentations and only one of praises. We would not be like this in Jesus name.
In our bible reading, we see David lament four times, “How long Lord”. He was concerned that;
- God had forgotten him.
- God had hidden His face.
- Everyday seemed to bring sorrows
- His enemies were triumphing over him.
We see that David had a real relationship and interaction with God and was able to express himself just as we should be able to. David is not alone here, we also see Job ask “ why do You hide Your face and consider me Your enemy (Job 13:24) and Jeremiah asking “why do You forget us forever, why do You forsake us for so many days (Lam 5:20).
It is however reassuring that David did not stop at questioning God as he did in Verses 1 and 2 of our reading. He went ahead in the other verses to do what is required to change his frame of mind and circumstances. We must do the same as well and we will come to David’s 4-part action soon.
Please we need to note the following to give us assurances when we feel like David felt.
• We must endeavor not to let our desires disintegrate to impatience and then seek ungodly options.
• We must seek the Grace of God to keep us from murmuring. May we not be like the children of Israel that murmured and did not make it to the promised land.
• We must remember that we are engraved in the palms of God and He will not forget us ( Heb 49:15).
• It is possible for God to hide his face from us and yet still remember us. A hidden face is really not a sign of a forgetful heart. Heb 12:6 and Prov 3:12 also point to the possibility of God turning his face away in love for a moment. Let us remain assured by God’s Word in (Isa 54:7-8), where it is stated we may be left for a moment but God with enormous compassion will bring us back.
Brethren in conclusion, we should embrace what David did when he was concerned about how long he was in those undesirable situations without God’s response being apparent.
- Prayers: we should keep praying as David did in verse 3. There was a popular acronym years ago: PUSH (pray until something happens). Let us never give up praying even when it appears God is far away. Remember Ecc 3:11, God makes things beautiful in his time!!!.
- Trust God: David trusted in the mercy and unfailing love of God (verse 5). The test of faith is in when things are tough and not when things are going well.
- Rejoice: Verse 5b tells about David rejoicing in God’s salvation. We must rejoice in God’s unfailing ability to rescue us from every adverse situation.
- Praise & Worship: we know David was very adept at praising and worshipping God. Verse 6 (MSG) captures this clearly, “I’m singing at the top of my lungs, I’m so full of answered prayers”. As we recall all that God has done in the past, we get the assurance that all the current issues will dealt with to our favour as well.
- Father we pray that Your mercy will not elude us and our loved ones in Jesus name.
- Father we pray concerning those who feel forgotten , please Lord let them know that You will never leave or forsake them in Jesus name.
- Father please we pray for your divine intervention concerning the long standing problems and challenges of Nigeria in Jesus name.
- Please Lord we cry unto You for the eradication of this Covid 19 virus as You did regarding ebola in Jesus name.