Text : Joshua 9
The story in Joshua 9 is a common one. In summary, after the thorough and comprehensive annihilation of the 2 kings on this side of Jordan – Sihon king of Heshbon, and to Og king of Bashan, the other kings in the promised land were shaking in fear. God had, through his great power, made Israel appear larger that their numeric or military strength. The Gibeonites, being a wise set of people devised a plan to deliver themselves from this “terrible” people. They pretended to be from a very far country seeking a peace alliance with Israel. Remember that at this time, God’s hand was squarely on Joshua. The simple question is: How could Joshua and the Princes of Israel have fallen easily for this deceit? The answer is also simple: They took the presence of the Lord for granted and failed to ask God for direction. Because they did not seek the face of God in this matter, they agreed to the alliance with Gibeon and hence, were constrained from totally eliminating all the former occupants of the promise land.
The scripture says in Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Why did Joshua and the Princes not ask God about the Gibeonites?
1. They had just got a significant victory: Brethren, we must watch and pray (Matthew 26:41)- present continuous. The devil is seeking for occasions of complacency in the lives of believers to trip them up into believing that they can take a break from talking to God. The devil wants us to believe that some things are too small to bother God with. How can these guys with worn clothes, moldy bread and old wineskins be any trouble to Israel’s promised possession? Are you in the mood of ignoring the small decisions? Please learn to ask God. The bible says in Proverbs 3:6 in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Please do just that…IN ALL THY WAYS. May God grant us the grace to acknowledge Him in all our ways in Jesus Name, Amen!
2. Gibeon was assumed to be a far country: Assumptions that are not verified do kill. All Joshua could have done was to follow the pattern established by sending a couple of spies to do some inquiry about these folks before entering into alliance. He did not. He assumed that because they looked tattered and worn out from their journey, their testimony must be true. Brethren, we must search out truths and facts. The word of God is one key source for truth. But we also have other means for searching out facts before we enter into alliances. Remember the admonition not to be unequally yoked. That person, who talks like, appears like and acts like a holy brother or sister might be a lion in sheep clothing. Do not assume – search it out first. May God grant us the patience and diligence to search out truths and facts before making decisions.
3. The Battle would be won anyway – It was God’s battle: Yes, the Lord had promised to give Israel the Promised land. One condition was however critical as to which individuals will inherit the land – obedience. The entire generation that came out of Egypt fell in the wilderness except for Joshua and Caleb. Bottom-line, God is faithful. Because He had promised, it was sure He would bring Israel home. However, the Lord does not reward indolence in the midst of an assignment. He expects us to fully appreciate His “expected end” and cooperate with Him into the finer details to truly enter our promised land in good time and Complete. May we find grace to play our God-given role in our journey to our promised land in Jesus Name, Amen!
1 Thank you father for your thoughts towards me are always thoughts of good to bring me to my expected end. Jeremiah 29:11
2. Thank you father for your faithfulness in keeping your words. 1 Cor 10:13
3. Father help me never to take your presence for granted. May I always acknowledge you in ALL things in Jesus Name Prov 3:6
4. Father take away presumptions from my walk with you. Help me to ask and seek counsel before I make decisions in Jesus Name
5. Father, please show me what you will have me do and teach me to align with your promised end for my life in Jesus Name.
Thank You Jesus.
Jesus Loves You.
Father! In The Mighty Name Of Jesus Christ Your Son! We Cover Your Son Pastor E A Adeboye With The Precious Blood Of Jesus! He Shall Finish Strong, To Your Glory Through Christ Jesus Our Lord And Saviour! Amen!
May God Bless Israel, Nigeria, And America And Take Care Of Us; May God Make His Face Shine Upon Us, And Be Gracious To Us; May The Lord Lift Up His Countenance Upon Us, And Give Us Peace, In Jesus Christ Name, We Pray! Amen!
May The Grace The Lord Jesus Christ, And The Love Of God, And The Fellowship Of The Holy Spirit Be With You All. Amen!
Support Our Ministry
Good Morning Dear!
It Cost A Lot Of Money To Maintain A Website! Nonetheless A Non-Profit Christian Website.
Please If You Have Been Blessed By This Ministry And You Are Led To Support And Bless This Ministry In Return.
Please Make Your Donation To This Account
Ogwo Chukwuemeka Obiorah
Account Number: 0139438409
Guaranty Trust Bank Plc Nigeria
To Help Us Continue In The Spreading Of The Gospel Of Our Lord Jesus Christ To Every Corner Of This World.
Thank You Very Much For Your Support!
May God We Serve Bless You A Million Times In Return! Amen!
Ogwo Chukwuemeka Obiorah