FEAR NOT, GO FORWARD
Worship Song: Jesus, At the centre by Eben
Bible Text: Ex14:9-16
- But the Egyptian pursued after them, all the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, and his horsemen, and his army, and overtook them encamping by the sea, beside Pi-hahiroth, before Baal-zephon
- And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: and the children of Israel cried out unto the Lord.
- And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? Wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt?
- Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians, than we should die in the wilderness.
- And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will show to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more for ever.
- The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
- And the Lord said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? Speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:
- But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea. Prayer
Father, thank you for the eleventh month of the year. Thank You for your grace to overcome all the odds of the past 10 months. Phil1:6. We believe that the good work You have started in us will be completed to the glory of Your name by the end of the year. Message
We need to go forward (move on) if we have to develop spiritually. A person who seriously desires to move forward has to first conquer FEAR. FEAR has been described as FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL.
FEAR has to be vanquished for us to move forward. Fear paralyses.
There are several types of fear- fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of man, fear of making mistakes. The only fear allowed scripturally is the FEAR OF GOD.
Ecc12:13- “fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man”
The devil’s first strategy of attack is fear. He sends fear (it is his main weapon of war). When you allow fear to settle, your defense will collapse immediately. IKings20:1-11. As soon as your defense is down, he moves in to strike.
The Mobile Police Forces in their heydays were dreaded members of the Force. As a university student in the mid seventies, we know that when the Government sends the “KILL AND GO“, they are no longer joking. It has become a real war. The way the Mobile Police operate is through intimidation and show of force. Mohammed Ali, the boxer, also used this tactics to intimidate opponents. He sends fear by predicting which round he will win the fight and how he is going to destroy the opponent. Sportsmen in recent times also do this. Managers especially in the English Premier League use all forms of strategy to intimidate the opposition.
And of course, Nigerian Politicians spread fear and “do or die” tactics to scare the opposition.
Fear as we know is the greatest enemy of FAITH. It is even the direct opposite of FAITH.
The Bible in 2Timothy1:7 says God has not given us the spirit of fear and timidity but of POWER, LOVE and SOUND MIND.
The Bible in Isaiah41:10-13 say “Fear not; for I am with thee….” What the Lord is saying here is “Don’t fear, I am in control of the whole universe.” He is in charge of whatever may happen to you. He holds the whole World in His hand.
Rev1:17-18- “Fear not, I am the First and the Last..”. This was an assurance to a fearful Apostle John.
Our God is the God who fights for His people. He is Jehovah Nissi- the Lord of hosts and Captain of His people. When God fights, all you need to do is just be still, relax and enjoy the victory. This is because the battle is not yours but the Lord’s. 2Chron20:22- the battle belongs to God. So, no matter what conflict you are going through, learn to say to yourself- THE BATTLE IS NOT MINE, IT IS THE LORD’S, SO I HAVE VICTORY“.
A little child runs to his father’s house and feels secure, why can’t we be like little children in our relationship with God, trusting like children.
You can say “I have tried that but it is not working”. May be the Lord is saying to you that you need to come to mature understanding that Christianity is not a bed of roses.
There are times when we face a situation of blockade on all sides and help seem not forthcoming from anywhere. At such times, the Lord’s word is “DON’T GIVE UP” “KEEP ON“. Remember your God is a Covenant Keeper. The desert to your right and left are nothing to Him. The Red Sea Infront and the host of Pharaoh behind are no barrier. LOOK UP! Help will certainly come from above. Psalm 121:1-3, “I will lift up mine eyes to the hills…”
We are in a season of so much
uncertainty and fear. Covid-19 pandemic at the beginning of the year led to physical and economical lockdown that we are yet to recover from. The protests in the streets of Nigeria in October added to the precarious situation. But in it all, the voice of the Lord is saying “Do not fear, Go forward”. Don’t be stagnant, don’t let the difficulties around you lead to paralysis. This is the time to be positive and speak positively concerning ourselves and our nation. God will certainly work out things for those who love Him and are called by His name Rm8:38. We should just ask for the grace not to pray amiss. I hear a lot of curses on our pulpits in the name of prayer. We curse and speak negatively when we should be blessing and speaking positively. Many Christians have forgotten about ITimothy2:1-4. They have also forgotten about IJohn4:16-21. They spew out hate in the name of speaking to those in authority. We don’t have to agree with them but we need to obey the Scriptures. We also in this season need to pray for the spirit of discernment. The devil is very much active in the social media causing despair and confusion. He is trying to fulfil his ministry of stealing, killing and destroying. I pray that we and our children will not fall victim. We should continue to look for the blessed hope. Titus2:11-13
God’s expectation of all believers is for us to advance, to make progress, to move ahead, to develop, to PRESS ON. Whether in our spiritual life, in our academic pursuits, in our business or whatever.
God is saying”the Egyptians you have seen today, you will not see again”, so go forward, advance, make progress, develop. Don’t stand on the same spot- MOVE ON.
- Heavenly Father, please banish fear in my life. Help me to trust You for my victory.
- Father, let every obstacle to my forward movement, give way today.
- Father, I receive the spirit of power, love and sound mind to overcome every fear from this day.
- Father, deliver Nigeria from every fear monger. Release Your peace upon our nation.
- Help our leaders to work in the atmosphere of love and peace.
Good morning and God bless you richly as you work in blessed hope, Amen