Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13)
The plan seemed so wonderful at the time. During the summer of 1969, more than 100,000 people would camp out in a pristine glade in upstate New York where everyone would get along and love each other. This meeting was part of the hippie movement. Their slogans expressed noble ideals: love, not hate; peace, not war. One of its cornerstones was “free love.” Hippies thought they could find love through sex.
The Woodstock Festival culminated a national “Love-In.” But instead of the expected 100,000 hippies, 1.5 million long-haired young people wearing beads and feathers flooded the area for three days.
Was Woodstock really a place of peace and love? Peter Townsend, a member of the band The Who which played during Woodstock, said, “What was going on off the stage was just beyond comprehension—stretchers and dead bodies, people throwing up, and people having [drug] trips…I thought the whole of America had gone mad.”
Tempers flared; people were assaulted. Nudity, sex, and drug dealing were everywhere. And they left behind acres of trash. What was supposed to be a monument to free love and brotherhood was actually a hedonistic mess. Selfishness and a disregard for others reigned.
Everyone wants to be loved. But what is love? Tragically, our world understands very little about true love. We must turn to our Creator to understand what love really is. His love is not just words on a page, but was demonstrated in the deepest kind of sacrifice—Christ’s death on the cross.
Your View of God Really Matters …
Compare the world’s concept of love — self-gratification — with God’s concept of love — selfless sacrifice for others. If we all loved each other as God loves us, what practical effect would that have in your community? In your church? In your family?
What More Does God Say?
John 3:16; John 15:12-13; 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Because God Is Love, He in Unconditionally Committed to My Well-Being.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Free to Love Unconditionally (ptl2010.com)
- What God’s Love is Like…. (freedomborn.wordpress.com)
- This Is Love; Not That We Loved God, But That He Loved Us. John 4:10 (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Christ The Power And Wisdom Of God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- OUR Father… (mrbnd.wordpress.com)
- The Body Of Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Love Means Discipline (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Confidence in God (juancastillojr.wordpress.com)
- Living the Surrendered Life (Day 15) (christlikeministriesnwa.wordpress.com)
- Established in the Love of Christ (ladysilk13.wordpress.com)
- Are you following God’s command to you? (secretstolife.com)
- Do you love like God loves you? (secretstolife.com)
- He loves me? He loves me not? (thewhimsicalhand.wordpress.com)
- God’s love is all that count (midastouchworld.wordpress.com)
- Daily Devotional | Loving God All The Way (thelivingwordministries.wordpress.com)
- Made with Purpose (myheartsmission.com)
- God: The Christian’s Source of Love (johnrconverse.wordpress.com)
- Greater Love (faithfamilyto.org)
- Encouragement-16 (dailyousmisc.wordpress.com)
- Living the Surrendered Life (Day 12) (christlikeministriesnwa.wordpress.com)
- Five Finger Recovery – God Part I (preciousprodigal.wordpress.com)
- Love Each Other (ftm2liamjames.wordpress.com)
- Sharing God’s Love (pastorht.wordpress.com)
- 67. The Trinity (vertrep.com)
- Daily Devotional | God’s Love For The Sinner (thelivingwordministries.wordpress.com)
- True Love Starts at the Cross (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- Altar of Prayer (cupofblessing.wordpress.com)
- Be true to yourself and (thundersstorms.wordpress.com)
- Love of God (bibleandmylife.wordpress.com)
- Greater Love Has No One Than This… (faithfulnibbles.wordpress.com)
- “Will You Lay Down Your Life?” (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Today, I Say Thanks For… #11 (trappedalone.wordpress.com)