Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too.
THE BEST DEFENSE
Matthew 5:39, “But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
Which would you rather have – God defending you, or you defending yourself? That’s the choice that Jesus is offering us here. “Turning the other cheek” is not a prescription for abuse but rather the way to get the Lord involved in your defense.
Many people feel that these instructions of Jesus guarantee that others will take advantage of us. That would be true if there was no God. But when we follow these commands of Jesus, the Lord is on our side. He said in Rom. 12:19, “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”
When we fight back, we are drawing on our own strength. But when we turn the other cheek, we are invoking God as our defence. Once we understand this, it becomes obvious that these instructions are for our own good.
James 1:20, says that the wrath of man does not accomplish the righteousness of God. Regardless of how appropriate our anger may seem, and regardless of how we think our wrath could make a person or situation change, we will never achieve God’s best that way.
When we defend ourselves, we stop God from defending us. It has to be one way or the other. It cannot be both ways. When we turn the other cheek to our enemies, we are loosing the power of God on our behalf. Let God defend you today.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Christians…Should we be doormats or the shoes? (pastormikesays.wordpress.com)
- And Then he Punched the Other One!!! (spendomai.com)
- REMEMBER: If you are a CHRIST-ian….. (foodforthespiritualsoul.wordpress.com)
- #236: Turning the other cheek in marriage (ilovethishusbandandwifestuff.com)
- Where Is Your Trust? (5gsandacupofjoe.net)
- Abide in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Discipleship (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Consequences (hopeforallmin.wordpress.com)
- See God’s Perfect Will (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Remember the Lord Thy God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- When you give alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand has just done (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The law of the Spirit that brings life made me free from the law that brings sin and death (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- God is good (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Seeing Doubt For What It Is (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Jesus is with You (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- When we see death, we see disaster. When Jesus sees death, He sees deliverance! (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Own Up to Guilt (bummyla.wordpress.com)